Date : 29 April 2024
Timing : 9:00 - 16:00 (30 min lunch break)
Language : English
CPE Points : 7
Deadline to register : 19 April 2024
Instructor : John Chesshire
Auditing Corporate Governance
Corporate governance relates to the direction and control of organizations and their activities. Good governance encourages organizational success and poor governance often contributes to organizational failure.
This new and hugely topical course really puts the “G” into ESG!
Spend a full day thinking about corporate governance concepts, best practices, and current developments from across the private, public and third sectors and consider internal audit’s role in this critical subject, in an interactive and participative style.
This course will improve your ability to provide effective, professional insight and internal audit assurance that moves beyond a tick box approach, identifying the real underlying corporate governance risks faced by organizations.
Who should attend?
Chief audit executives, internal audit managers, senior internal auditors and internal auditors involved in planning, preparing for or auditing aspects of corporate or organizational governance.
This course will take you through the following learning steps:
- what is meant by corporate governance and why it is so important for every organization
- key corporate governance concepts, what organizations should do to meet good practice and moving beyond a ‘tick box’ approach
- the objectives of corporate governance and the key components of corporate governance in any organization
- understand corporate governance trends and topical issues including accountability, culture, assurance, board and committee composition, diversity and succession
- understand what good practice corporate governance looks like
- identifying and assessing risk and appropriate mitigation associated with corporate governance
- how to deliver professional, value adding internal audit assurance over corporate governance practices
The course includes facilitator input, topical examples, short practical discussions and exercises to reinforce the learning and build upon your existing knowledge.
CPE competency areas covered
Professionalism (Due professional care)
Performance (Organisational governance | Engagement planning)
Environment (Organisational strategic planning and management)
John Chesshire, CFIIA, QIAL, CRMA, CIA, CISA, has over 24 years' experience working in the internal audit, risk management, business improvement and governance fields. John is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute in the UK, an Independent Internal Audit Committee Chair, and was Chief Assurance Officer for the States of Guernsey until the start of 2021. He has delivered many well-received courses to IIA Luxembourg in the past, as well as to many other European Institutes of Internal Auditors.
His other recent clients include FTSE listed companies, multinationals, central and local government, law enforcement, charities, professional services companies, and international organisations such as NATO, the OECD, and UN Agencies. He is a principal examiner for the Institute of Risk Management and has been a visiting lecturer in the Governance and Assurance Hub at Birmingham City University.
He loves internal audit, is a great friend of IIA Luxembourg and particularly enjoys working in new and emerging areas of assurance interest.